"Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in it's various forms. If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God." I Peter 4: 10-11


Dear Reader- This Blog started in February of 2011 and the pages are numbered. Please begin reading on Page One and continue from there. As you move down the path of the pages it is my hope that scripture astounds you and God, Himself, is revealed.

Scripture confirms that if you acknowledge God as God and draw close to His truths He will draw close to you! As you get to know God through scripture you will begin to see Him work in your life AND hear Him speak to your heart. It is not an audible voice but an inner one-that will change your life on earth...and beyond!

To walk a little deeper each page has a song recommendation that deepens the spiritual lesson. Each song has been specifically chosen and holds a message that should not be missed. If there is not a link to the song on the page, it is recommended that you use iTunes, YouTube or another source to download these songs so that you can move deeper into spiritual truths that the song writers and musicians have creatively written about- for your blessing and God's glory!

Friday, February 25, 2011

The Small Gate on a Narrow Road Page 3

The Small Gate on a Narrow Road:
Are you familiar with those silver, metal criss-cross fences and gates?  You know…the kind that everyone put around their yards in the 60’s and 70’s? (We still have em around these days too).   These types of gates hold significance to me.  This kind of screechy metal gate sat at the entrance of my Maw Maw’s yard.   It led  past this huge, old oak tree and onto her screened in porch-which was full of rockers and gliders and was home to not one…but two coo-coo clocks.  There was a gate (although wooden) around  my Aunt Amy’s yard as well.  This Aunt lived in North Louisiana -miles and miles…and miles down a dirt road.  My parents would take us out to see her when we went to “the camp” (a cabin to some) up in north Louisiana.   Now, getting to Aunt Amy’s was, to be truthful, somewhat frightening.  Why?  Because this dirt road was surrounded on either side with woods; deep, dark, unfamiliar woods.  Along with this was the fact that we did not travel this road often….and there were forks and cross-roads to navigate.  My dad would start out at the top of this dirt road, cross over the cattle guard (which we thought was amazing) and then set his course as he remembered it.  I would literally be fearful that we may never be seen again.  We would come upon a fork in the road and I’d sense my dad’s hesitation.  He’d make his decision (which to me seemed at the last minute) and we’d keep going.
 I remember on one of our dirt road excursions, deep within these woods, daddy revealed that he, perhaps, made the wrong turn.  He literally put the car in reverse and we went back the way we came-backwards.  (Honestly, the dirt road was so narrow that there was no room to turn around).   Talk about the eyes of a child widening with fear!!! (LOL)  We eventually made it to Aunt Amy’s…which was another adventure all together.  When we got close to her house we’d know it.  The woods closely lining the road would end abruptly to our right as pasture land took its place.  A little bit further down we’d make a right turn and the Ouachita River would be flowing on our left- just outside the car window it seemed.  Within minutes we’d be there.    This river literally sat a stone’s throw from Aunt Amy’s front gate.   We’d get out of the car and immediately become intrigued by the fast-flowing water.  We’d throw a rock or two and then head to the front gate.  There were times when we had to cross from the gate to the screened in porch in a run…because there were pigs in the yard.  There was also a water well in the front yard (which was not something we’d see every day).  Aunt Amy was an interesting lady who could have worn an apron that read “Mother Time”.  Her voice was booming…and very recognizable.  I’d hug her hello but otherwise stay clear and observe her from afar. 
 Being at her home was like stepping back in time.  My dad shared that there used to be a boat that served as the school bus when he was a child.  Amazing!  Thinking back on my visits…it’s almost as if I envision it in black and white.  Everything was old.  The house was old, the furniture was old, the dishes were old, the sink and ice box were old.  Even the water seemed old.  Ok, well, it was brown and tasted old.  It was well water. Not as in “well with my soul” water.  This water was unfiltered, unpurified, unsanctified water.  I’d go thirsty for days before bringing myself to have a cup.  
The gates?  The gate at my Maw Maws and the gate at Aunt Amy’s each signify something blessed.   With my memories of these gates I have gone back to a precious time in my life.  Literally, these two gates led the way to the door of reunion and fellowship with my loved ones.  Here is the significance spiritually:  In Revelation 3:20 God says: “Here I am!  I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him and him with me.”   

The road we travel in life may be long and shadowed by woods, the sun shining through at times.   We may navigate through it using our own abilities to chart our way-sometimes getting it right…and sometimes not.   It may be full of fearful adventures or just a lovely passage through time…probably a little of both.  Along this road we’ll reach a gate or two.  Entering leads way to a time of fellowship with those we love.

The gate we’re standing at today is the gateway to our spiritual life and a relationship with the Almighty God.  The creator of Heaven and earth wants to know you.   He stands, present, in your life.  Do you acknowledge this?  Scripture says in Matthew 10:32-33: “Whoever acknowledges me before men I will acknowledge him before my father in heaven.  But whoever disowns me before men I will disown him before my father in heaven.”  If we do one thing today—Let’s acknowledge that God is God.   In Exodus 3:14 God says: “I AM who I am”.  Scripture also says in Proverbs 3:6-  “In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths”.   
Jesus gives us some advice in Matthew 7: 13-14 -“Enter through the narrow gate.  For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.  But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it”.  
You have found it my friend…and fellowship with the living God is there for all who enter.
 “Welcome”.


Song Recommendation
The Creed
By Avalon

No comments:

Post a Comment