"Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in it's various forms. If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God." I Peter 4: 10-11


Dear Reader- This Blog started in February of 2011 and the pages are numbered. Please begin reading on Page One and continue from there. As you move down the path of the pages it is my hope that scripture astounds you and God, Himself, is revealed.

Scripture confirms that if you acknowledge God as God and draw close to His truths He will draw close to you! As you get to know God through scripture you will begin to see Him work in your life AND hear Him speak to your heart. It is not an audible voice but an inner one-that will change your life on earth...and beyond!

To walk a little deeper each page has a song recommendation that deepens the spiritual lesson. Each song has been specifically chosen and holds a message that should not be missed. If there is not a link to the song on the page, it is recommended that you use iTunes, YouTube or another source to download these songs so that you can move deeper into spiritual truths that the song writers and musicians have creatively written about- for your blessing and God's glory!

Friday, May 27, 2011

"Do This or Something Better!" Page 14

“Do this or something better!”1  This phrase just washed over me as I prayed about my current concerns.   My mind is never far from the consequences we are walking through since closing our business.  Many dominoes were aligned in our life...each toppled and knocked down the next.  So be it!  I’m hoping that the last detrimental domino is in motion and slow motion at that.  We are working to hear God’s voice, be in His will and attend to those things that are within our power.  As the last few game pieces tilt toward us, tapping in staccato,  we watch in faithful uncertainty.  We know our prayers and our needs...but the game simply is not over just yet! 
During this time the subject of my many prayers has been:  “Lord, hear our prayers, (Psalm 27:7);  Reverse our losses (Matthew 6: 27-34); Put us back on the path written about (Psalm 139:16).  Bless us (Matthew 5: 3-10);  Protect us (Isaiah 43:1-3); Be with us (Psalm 46:1);  Help our unbelief, (Isaiah 41: 10);  Go before us (Exodus 14: 21-22); Lead us back to the path written about (again Psalm 139: 16); Don’t let us go if you’re not going with us (Exodus 33: 15-16) , etc, etc, etc.  If you read carefully you’ll see that, though based on scripture, some of these prayers are contrary to the others. Ok, so I was covering every base!  Thankfully within my current bible study….I’ve come across a prayer that is so pivotally profound it is poetically simple:
“LORD, DO THIS OR SOMETHING BETTER!”
This amazing request leads me to the realization that my prayers need to be very detailed.  Do this or something better!  Do what?   What IS this request?  We had better be very specific!  
When we’re in a tumultuous situation our thoughts and emotions tend to roll from here to there….and so did my prayers.  I know that we have specific needs and I’ve tried to focus on those….but as you see I have been, let’s say, in a back and forth match as to what to pray for. Surely I want God's protection and His best...but reality is so distracting!  Distraction and uncertainty are not good for our prayer life.  However now…armed with power of one simple sentence…..I know how to petition God with reverence…..”Do this or something better”. 

So... the game plan is to attend to what is within my power and then add the following prayer:  “Lord, here is what I think……….I am working toward this end….. this is my plan….but Lord, do this….or do something better. "  God's answer may be something totally different than what I am expecting....and that's just fine...for scripture says:


"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord,
plans to prosper you and not harm you,
plans to give you hope and a future.
Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.
  You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."
Jeremiah 29: 11-13


With the knowledge that God, himself, knows the plans for me, I pray and then stand watch.   What an amazing prayer!  What an amazing game plan!   What an amazing God!  This prayer sets us up for God's best (not mine).   It strengthens our stance because of a sure faith.  It allows us to stand on the might of God, His word, His power and His plan as we carefully align another set of dominos (those things within our power).  This strategy allows God to take care of the end result.  We can breathe a sigh of relief- knowing  exactly what our prayer is....and what God  is capable of....and therefore how to anticipate things... as He works it out! 
Truly the words something better  flood over me with relief.  I have found some peace again.  I know that God can do better than my best.  I’ve seen Him answer my prayers before…and armed with this visual….I can utter this amazing prayer and sit back with tremendous trust in Jehovah Elohim-the God that can make something out of nothing!   My faith has room …not just to grow but expand  in every direction into something it wasn't..and in doing so completely cover my life with God’s blessings….His best. 

 When we pray like that…..with a true belief and an honest heart…confessing that God can take what we deem best and make it better ...heaven rejoices as we laugh.   Our specific prayers are not too hard for God.  He could touch that 1st domino, setting  my plan into motion….or He can change the course of my future with a simple angle change of one game piece.  It really doesn’t matter  when we’re standing on faith….for that very faith changes everything in this game called life.

Proverbs 16:13
“We toss the coin but it is the Lord who controls its decision.”
Proverbs 21: 30
“There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord.”
Amen and Amen!

Song recommendation
Voice of Truth
by:  Casting Crowns


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwsvqVmFV6Y


1-Priscilla Shirer Bible Study, One in a Million.

No comments:

Post a Comment